Roof leaks are a common roofing issue. Fortunately, there are several ways to reduce the risk of leaks. One of them is to install a more leak-resistant roof, such as a standing seam metal roof. What makes standing seam metal roofs more resistant to leaks? Seams or roofing joints are the weak points of a conventional roofing system. Since the locking systems used to secure interlocking the roofing panels are raised above the surface, water won’t be able to seep into the seams.
If you’re planning on installing a standing seam metal roof, one of the things you need to take into account is its panel profile.
Roofing Panel Profiles
- Snap-lock profile – A snap-lock profile (which is the most common panel profile) is easy to install and does not require any additional tools to join or crimp its seams. Keep in mind that this profile isn’t designed for all metal roofs. For instance, this roofing profile isn’t suitable for low-sloped roofs.
- Mechanical locks – Contractors would usually recommend this roofing profile to homeowners living in temperate climates. Other types of locks are vulnerable to thermal movement (or repeated contraction and expansions caused by abrupt changes in temperature), but mechanical locks remain locked even in subzero temperatures.
- Batten panel profile – As the name suggests, standing seam batten panels resemble traditional batten roofing. This roofing profile is often used in traditional roof designs, but it’s also found in more contemporary designs.
- Nail flange or fastener flange profile – Like snap-lock profiles, nail flange panel profiles are easy to install. However, they’re not recommended for low-pitch roofs.
- Flush wall and soffit profile – Flush wall and soffit roofing panels are suitable for a wide range of roof designs and climate types, but they’re more expensive than the aforementioned panel profiles.
What Are the Other Factors You Need to Consider?
In addition to your standing seam roof’s profile, you also need to consider the type of metal most suited to your area’s local climate. To learn more about your roofing options, consult one of your local residential roofing contractors.
Looking for experienced roofers near you?
The Roofing Company, a roofing contractor with over four decades of experience, offers a wide range of professional roofing services, including new roof construction services. To request a quote, call us at (970) 887-0104, or fill out this form. We serve homeowners in Aspen as well as the surrounding communities.